Let’s face it. When you are away from your home office, it can be challenging to find secure WiFi. This is especially annoying when travelling. Like me, you head for the nearest coffee shop or try to link up to a free hotspot so you can check your emails. Does this sound like you? Well I can understand that. When you use an unsecured network to access the sensitive data on your device, you are putting this data at risk. So you wonder what are the benefits of using a VPN? With the new regulations coming into force in May 2018 (GDPR), take the time to research a VPN for security.
What is a VPN?
This means Virtual Private Network (VPN). So, when you launch your VPN on your device it will provide a layer of security measures so that your data is not stolen. The VPN will encrypt your data, add in an extra server to provide anonymity on your location and privacy. Imagine you are in a coffee shop and you want to check your bank account balance. You launch your online banking and you do not have a VPN. Well, all that data is being picked up by the person sitting next to you potentially if they are unscrupulous. Not good. When you go online you want privacy. You do not want other people “eavesdropping” on what you are doing or stealing sensitive data from you. You need to be careful in hotels too when you are accessing personal data.
Benefits of using a VPN
A VPN will provide you with Privacy, Encrypt your data and hide your location.
So to help you out, I am going to list 5 options below. They are in no particular order by preference but it is a starter for 10 if you are considering using one. I use PureVPN but please do your own due diligence. Check speed, number of servers and locations and whether they have a no log policy. Check price and reliability and that they have servers in the European Economic Area.
Options for using a VPN
- Tunnel Bear – TunnelBear is a public virtual private network service based in Toronto, Canada. A freeware TunnelBear client is available on Android, Windows, macOS and iOS. It connects to the fastest servers in 20+ countries on TunnelBear’s virtual private network.
- PureVPN – 750+ servers, 140+ countries, 180+locations and 1 million plus satisfied users later, today, PureVPN stands tall as the only VPN provider with an arsenal of enterprise-grade security features to combat the worst of threats and carries with it the best of reputations.
- Private Internet Access – 3069 plus servers in 28 countries including the UK
- Express VPN – Choose from 148 cities in 94 countries. With unlimited speeds and unlimited server switches, you can connect from anywhere in the world. VPN servers in Europe also.
- NordVPN – With NordVPN, encrypt your online activity to protect your private data from hackers or snoopy advertisers. Enjoy global connectivity along with high-performance speed and secure access to streaming websites, censored content and social networks. Over 3000 servers to choose worldwide
What have you learnt about the benefits of using a VPN?
We have looked at what a VPN is, why you need one and some options for you to consider and research. I hope you found this blog post useful. You will now be thinking of getting a VPN if you do not have one already installed on your device.
If you have a VPN, what do you like about it? Do you have another favorites not on my list? Please provide in the comments box.
Latest posts by Barbara Moorer (see all)
- Effectively manage Change in your Team - August 10, 2019
- Remarkable tips to prepare for training programmes in 2019 - December 18, 2018
- Benefits of using a VPN for Security on your devices - March 19, 2018